Friday, July 18, 2008

Carol McCain Erased?





Pictures: Top Left, Carol welcomes John home. Top Right, Carol and children pray for John while he is captured. Bottom, John & Carol Wedding Picture


No one seems to bring up John McCain's first marriage to Carol McCain. In fact, most images of the first Mrs. McCain have been erased from the internet (I wonder who did that?). Well, I found a few on Democratic Underground with some interesting info, which I checked on Snopes for truthfulness and accuracy. I know that Barack does not want to smear Cindy McCain in any way, but when I saw a new Republican ad today on television using Michelle Obama"s "This is the first time I've been proud of my country" misinterpretation (I thought that was over with), I think this article is fair play. Its not so much Cindy that I have a problem with, but John McCain's judgement has to be questioned.
John McCain married a model, Carol Shepp, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on July 3, 1965 and he adopted her two sons, Dough and Andy. They had one more child together. While John was a prisoner of war in Vietnam, she had a horrible accident which changed her appearance. Despite her injures, she refused to allow her POW husband to be notified about her condition, fearing that such news would not be good for him while he was being held prisoner. When McCain returned to the United States in 1973 after more than five years as a prisoner of war, he found his wife was a different person. The accident "left her 4 inches shorter and on crutches, and she had gained a good deal of weight."



Cindy Lou Hensley and John McCain began dating in 1979 while he was still married to Carol. She was 24, he was 42. His infidelities put a strain on his and Carol's marriage and they were divorced after 15 years in 1980.

Carol insists she remains on good terms with her ex-husband, who agreed as part of their divorce settlement to pay her medical costs for life. ‘I have no bitterness,’she says. ‘My accident is well recorded. I had 23 operations, I am five inches shorter than I used to be and I was in hospital for six months. It was just awful, but it wasn’t the reason for my divorce.
‘My marriage ended because John McCain didn’t want to be 40, he wanted to be 25. You know that happens...it just does.’
Some of McCain’s acquaintances are less forgiving, however. They portray the politician as a self-centred womaniser who effectively abandoned his crippled wife to ‘play the field’. They accuse him of finally settling on Cindy, a former rodeo beauty queen, for financial reasons.

John and Cindy were married a month after his divorce from Carol. Cindy, an heiress to a beer distributor's fortune, did make McCain sign a pre-nup before their marriage. They have a commuter marriage; he stays in Washington and she in Phoenix, and they vacation together twice a year.

In 1989, after two back surgeries, Cindy McCain becamd addicted to two painkillers, Vicodin and Percoset. In order to keep up with her 10-15 pills a day habit, she used other people's names for prescriptions and stole pills from the American Voluntary Medical Team, a mobile surgical unit she had started in 1988. She avoided prosecution for those crimes through an agreement with the Justice Department.
Cindy McCain has done some wonderful things for childrens' causes, and has been active in the cause to clear land mines, provide water and food to ravaged places around the world. And as I said before, I am not writing this to attack Cindy, but rather to point out a huge flaw in the Republican nominee's character.

No comments: